Firearms -

Model 1858 Starr Double Action Army Revolver
Item #: AA1316
Click on an image to enlarge
This is a .44 caliber double action revolver manufactured by the Starr Arms Company of New York City, New York. About 23,000 double action Starr revolvers were manufactured in the late 1850's and early 1860's. Most of these were purchased by the U.S. Army. Starr revolvers represented about 12% of the sidearms issued to the Union cavalry, surpassed only by Colt and Remington. Starr made one of the earliest double action revolvers. They are six shot cap and ball revolvers with a six inch round barrel with six grooves. The overall length is 11 5/8" and it weighs 2 pounds 12 ounces. It has a steel blade front sight dovetailed into the barrel. A V notch cut into the hammer serves as a rear sight. There is a knurled screw on the right side of the frame, that when removed, allows the barrel to tip downwards on its hinge so the cylinder can be removed. The Starr revolver was invented by Eben Starr of New York City, grandson of Nathan Starr. The firearms were made at Yonkers, Binghamton and Morrisania, New York. The New York City address referred to the company's store location. This double action .44 caliber is in very good to almost fine condition. The entire exterior of the gun is smooth and pit free. The barrel, frame and loading lever retain about 80 - 90% of the blueing. The serial numberof 21136 is stamped on the cylinder, inside of the hammer, bridge and left frame. The bore is in excellent condition, bright and pit free. The mechanics of the Starr are not always functional. This one is no exception, working more like a self cocking weapon. Pulling the trigger cocks the hammer, then the small "trip" trigger must be pulled for the hammer to drop, a common malady with these revolvers. The one piece wood grip shows honest wear, but nothing in the way of knicks, dings or mars. Each side of the grip has an inspectors cartouche. There are sub inspector markings all over this one. The barrel has a B on the left side and a F on the right side. The left side of the frame has the letter B in two places, behind the cylinder on the frame and just above that on the hinged portion of the barrel. The frame is stamped below the cylinder STARR ARMS Co. NEW YORK. The trigger guard is stamped B just forward of the bow. The cylinder has a B and an F stamped on it. The right side of the frame is stamped STARR'S PATENT JAN. 15, 1856. This piece is practically flawless, one of the best Starr to come through this shop. The only way it could be better is if it had been Rebel used! This one will make your Union Cavalry collection really stand out.
Shipping Weight: 3 lbs
Your Price $2,400.00 USD