Firearms -

Prussian Model 1809 Potsdam Musket
Item #: AA1997
Click on an image to enlarge
This is a Prussian Model 1809 smooth bore musket in .72 caliber produced at the Saarn Armory. The musket has an overall length of 56 1/2", with a barrel length of 41". The exterior of the barrel has a smooth, dark appearance. There is moderate pitting and pin pricking at the bolster and breech area, so this one saw service somewhere! These guns were originally flintlock, but were converted to percussion. This was accomplished by forging a curved cone seat directly onto the breech. The bore is dark, but no major pitting. The end of the muzzle is out of round, so an accurate bore size can not be determined. A crown with the letters FW are found stamped on the left side of the barrel at the breech. A simple block rear sight is mounted on the barrel tang, while a brass blade front sight is on the rear strap of the front band. The bayonet catch under the barrel has been removed. The lockplate is stamped Saarn over the letter T forward of the hammer. Above the Saarn stamp is the Prussian crown and the letters FW. The lockplate and hammer have a dark smooth patina that matches the barrel. The mechanics of the lock are strong and crisp. The lock has a rounded tail that ends in a small teat, distinguishing it as a Model 1809. The three barrel bands, trigger guard, and escutcheon plate are all brass. These pieces bear the same deep golden patina that everyone loves to see. All the brass pieces are stamped with a small crown over a mark I can't make out. The butt plate on this Potsdam is iron. There are several stamps on the butt plate, 34 R, 3C and the number 7, but on date. The front and rear sling swivels are still present. The ramrod is a cupped, trumpet shaped rod, and is stamped 1C 7. The walnut stock is in good condition. It shows plenty of use and service, having the usual bumps and dings. There is a small amount of wood loss on the left side of the stock around the barrel tang and breech. A small period repair has been made at the rear of the barrel tang, and again on the left side of the ramrod channel by the front barrel band. The left stock comb has a recessed check rest. The US Ordnance Department purchased just over 100,000 of these smooth bore Prussian arms at the beginning of the Civil War. These shipment arrived during late 1861 and early 1862. By late 1862 they were already being replaced with better arms. The majority of these saw service in the Western theater, and some were captured and put back into service by the Confederates. This is a nice example of a Union imported long arm used during the Civil War.
Shipping Weight: 9 lbs
Your Price $625.00 USD